Frank Thorp from the architectural firm of Peddle, Thorp and Walker, designed this memorial after winning a public competition sponsored by North Sydney Council.
It was officially unveiled by the Governor General, Lord Stonehaven on 10 October 1926.
Constructed as a Cenotaph, or tomb-like monument, it recalls the war memorial designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens at Whitehall London.
Thorp's monument is constructed of yellow trachyte stone, decorated with bronze and brass lettering, wreaths, railings and light standards.
There are nearly 500 names recorded on bronze plaques.
Most relate to the First World War and all of these are of those killed.
The monument predated the Cenotaph in Martin Place by nearly a year, and was described at the time as the â€˜most imposing war memorial in Sydney'.
Dwarfed today by the North Sydney skyline, this impressive structure was once visible from the Harbour in its prominent position at the top of Walker Street.Anzac Day commemoration here was revived in 2011 after some years of abeyance. The Cenotaph has also been the a focal point for other military-related events such as the Freedom of Entry to the North Sydney area for HMAS Platypus in November 1992 and the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of Victory in the Pacific in 2005."""